First recipe blog post for 2018 is here and we are 17 days down already. Wish you a Happy New Year and trust you’ve utilised the downtime season to spend time with loved one.
Here in this blog space, I’ve stopped posting good recipes for some months – an apology for this. In the name of starting fresh with the new year, here is a clean recipe for the start of many more. Promise!
If you are not already aware of the mercury dip in Singapore in last few days that recorded lower of 22 to 24 degrees Celcius which is not usual for the South East Asia countries around the Equator. Not to blame the Mother Nature, SOTG is liking this and embrace this. It’s really pleasant not to have to turn on the air conditioning and not being half naked when in my hot Asian kitchen for a change.
The allure of a steaming pot of hot soup was what’s needed when temperature dip. Whipped up spectacular vegan soup: curried leek and sweet potato with cashew. Chucked in 2 teaspoons of this amazing immunity powder blend from Love Raw which contain turmeric, maca, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and black pepper.
What is Maca and why? Maca powder is derived from a plant root and the crop is grown in Peruvian mountain. Also known as ‘Peruvian ginseng’, maca is a superfood with many health benefits including boosting energy and stamina. Walla! a simple and classic soup dish now being elevated to a booster soup.
You could substitute with your own curry powder. No excuse for not trying this soup booster recipe.
Enjoy this spectacular soup with flatbread or you could do without, as it’s already rich on its own from sweet potato giving the carbohydrate needed, creamy and nutty from toasted cashew, plus goodness from the leek. We love that this soup is suitable for Paleo, vegan and plant-based diet.
Now let’s go to the recipe:
- 1 medium size leek (cleaned and diced) - I used 400g of frozen leek
- 2 medium size or 1 large sweet potatoe (diced)
- 2 teaspoons of Immunity Organic Food Booster by Love Raw (You can substitute with 2 teaspoons of curry powder)
- 1 cup of raw cashew
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 cups of vegetable stock or boiled water
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt
- Mushrooms for decoration (sliced & saute)
- Toast the cashews till brown. Left a handful to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup or stock pot. Saute the minced garlic.
- Add sweet potatoe. Cook until soft and slight brown.
- Pour leek and saute for a minute or two.
- Add salt, bay leaf, cashew nuts, and curry powder or Immunity Organic Food Booster by Love Raw.Stir to coats the vegetables well.
- Add boiled water or vegetable broth, and bring to a simmer. If using bouillon cubes, add and stir to make sure they dissolve.
- Add lemon juice. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Remove bay leaf. Use hand blender or food processor to puree.
- Adjust consistency as required. Serve hot and garnish with toasted cashew nuts.
- Ensure cashew is soft so that it's pureed to smooth consistency.
- Immunity Organic Food Booster by Love Raw already has black pepper in it. If using own curry powder season with pepper accordingly.
Live to thrive,